Skip to main content
Skip to desktop navigation to bypass mobile navigation
Skip to main navigation to bypass utlility navigation

Funding Your Education

No matter what graduate degree you want to pursue, we are committed to helping you afford the cost of your education.

Your graduate education is a valuable investment, but many students feel overwhelmed when it comes to covering the cost of tuition and other living expenses. We are here to help each student find the right solution to put a app University graduate degree within reach.

Types of Funding

Unlike undergraduates, graduate students are not eligible to receive federal grants. Graduate funding comes from four main sources:

  • Institutional Aid — Funding from the university, typically in scholarships or graduate assistantships
  • Federal Aid — Funding from the government, typically the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan
  • External Funding — Funding from a source outside of the university or government, such as a scholarship, grant or fellowship
  • Private Loans —  Funding, in the form of loans, that comes from non-government sources, which you can find and apply for on your own

Institutional Aid

At YU, the funding options are primarily merit-based, partial scholarships or assistantships. This funding is available for both domestic and international students. The specific details vary by program — contact the admissions office for your program of interest to learn more: | 1.833.241.4723

Federal Aid

Federal aid is available for domestic students (eligible US citizens and non-citizens). To apply for federal aid, you must first submit and complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year you are enrolled to receive funding.

The Department of Education requires that each university establish a “cost of attendance” for their programs. The amount allotted for scholarships and other funding, internal and external scholarships, and other forms of aid, cannot exceed this amount.

You can receive student loans for:

  • Direct expenses — tuition and university fees
  • Indirect expenses — may include health insurance, supplies, transportation and other reasonable living expenses. Any loan amount, after fees, that exceeds the bill amount from the university will be issued to the student as a refund, which can be used to pay for indirect expenses.

The app University Office of Student Finance manages the federal aid process. This office can speak more specifically on federal financial aid and how their office works with graduate students. You can reach them at 212.960.5399.

To be eligible for federal financial aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled for at least half-time status each semester in a degree-seeking program (half-time status is typically 6 credits)
  • Complete the FAFSA each year
  • Not be in default on previous federal loans or owe a refund on a federal grant (in order to get out of default, you would need to pay six consecutive payments of the amount allotted)
  • Submit all required documentation within required timeframes 

Your award eligibility is based on your tax return from two years prior. For example, the 2020-2021 FAFSA will use the income tax return from 2018. 

Graduate students are eligible for two main types of federal loans:

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are not based on financial need. They do not require a credit check and include benefits such as a fixed annual interest rate, six-month grace period, and deferment options to help you succeed in repayment. You can borrow up to $20,500 per academic year (summer, fall, and spring). There is also a loan origination fee that is taken out of your loan from the Department of Education prior to the university’s receipt of the funds. .

Graduate Plus Loans require a credit check. You may borrow more than the amount of your university tuition and fees to cover costs such as books, lab fees, and other costs related to funding your education. Your borrowing may not exceed the cost of attendance for direct and indirect expenses established by the university. The Graduate PLUS Loan offers a fixed annual interest rate. 

If you are denied for Plus Loan due to adverse credit, you can add an “endorser” who is essentially a co-signer on the loan, or you can file an appeal with the Department of Education. They can inform you what needs to improve before they review your credit a second time. Typically, students obtain Graduate Plus Loans if they need to borrow more than $20,500 per year and they use GradPlus to fill the gap. There is also a loan origination fee that is taken out of your loan proceeds from the Department of Education, prior to the university’s receipt of the funds. .

Graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants or Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans. , including interest rates and timelines.

To apply for federal loans, you’ll need to complete the FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA:

  • If this is your first time filing a FAFSA,
  • app’s FAFSA school code is 002903

1. Visit the Office of Student Finance website for steps to apply for and accept your Unsubsidized Loan:

  • Log in to using your FSA ID (same as your FAFSA login information).
  • Complete the Entrance Counseling
  • Complete the Loan Agreement for a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN)

2. Next you need to return to the YU website and

3. If you’re applying for a Graduate Plus Loan, you will then return to for the final steps :

  • Complete the Loan Agreement for a Graduate Plus Loan (MPN)
  • Apply for a PLUS Loan
  • Complete PLUS Credit Counseling
  • Appeal Credit Decision (if needed)

4. Once your federal loans are approved, you will see a set of instructions on your screen in the portal.

  • The YU Office of Student Finance is notified that your loans were approved and your account will be updated to reflect the loan information.
  • The YU Office of Student Finance will process your financial aid, including tuition, scholarships and federal loans, and post a bill to your account. 

On October 1 the new FAFSA is available for the following fall semester.

While there is no strict deadline, we suggest you complete the FAFSA, Entrance Counseling and your Master Promissory Notes (MPNs) by March 1 to ensure you have enough time to figure out your financing before starting fall semester classes. Note that MPNs are valid for 10 years, Entrance Counseling is completed once and the FAFSA is filed annually.

Loan repayment and forgiveness programs are ways to reduce or eliminate your student debt. Generally, people who work in eligible public service jobs continually for ten years and make 120 consecutive loan payments may be eligible for loan forgiveness.

Eligible public service jobs typically include the following:

  • Government organizations at any level (federal, state, local, or tribal)
  • Not-for-profit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
  • Other types of not-for-profit organizations that are not tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, if their primary purpose is to provide certain types of qualifying public services
  • Full-time AmeriCorps or Peace Corps volunteer

Please note that loan forgiveness only applied to Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, not the GradPlus Loan or private loans. Since this loan forgiveness process is outside of YU (or any other university), you are responsible for making sure you meet the eligibility requirements, make the payments, and then apply for the loan forgiveness after 10 years. Additionally, since Congress enacted loan forgiveness, there’s always a risk that it could be repealed.

on the U.S. Department of Education website. Other types of loan forgiveness may be available from federal agencies or your state based on your major and public need.

External Funding

External funding comes from a source outside of the university or government, such as a scholarship, grant or fellowship. These are opportunities you can find and apply for on your own. Please note that grants may be paid to you directly and you are responsible for putting this money aside to pay your bill. You are required to report all outside aid to the Office of Student Finance.

We have gathered a list of external funding sources to explore and the also maintains a list to review. Please note we do not endorse any external funding source and cannot offer assistance in applying for these opportunities.

Financial Aid for International Students

While international students are not eligible to submit a FAFSA, you may be eligible for institutional aid, depending on your program of interest. Contact the admissions office for more details.

F-1 visa holders may be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT): full- or part-time work directly related to your academic program. CPT can be paid or unpaid and must be completed while you are enrolled in your degree program. A YU-designated school official (DSO) must approve your CPT and you must submit a signed agreement from your employer.

The government, companies or other organizations within your home country may provide funding. There are also international organizations that offer financial aid to students across the globe.

Canadian students should also check with their province on availability of provincial loans and lenders on private, student lines of credit. The institution code for app University is MWMZ.

Electronic Consent to Participate Form Office of Student Finance

Federal law requires that the Office of Student Finance (OSF) obtain a student’s voluntary consent to participate in electronic transactions for all financial information provided or made available to student loan borrowers, and for all notices and authorizations to Federal Student Aid recipients required under 34 CFR 668.165.

This consent will allow OSF to electronically communicate important financial aid information directly to you, which may include notices, disclosures, award letters, and directions to secure websites. Upon request, students are entitled to a paper copy of any of the information electronically communicated by OSF. To request a paper copy, or if you have any questions, please contact OSF .  If you do not complete the form below we will assume you voluntarily consent to receive the electronic communications listed above.  

ʱ𲹲&Բ;  to complete app University’s 2023-2024 electronic consent form.

Payment Options

There are several payment options available to facilitate the payment of tuition and fees. Students may make payment in full by credit card, check, electronic checks (ACH payments) or bank wire payments. All payments and payment plan budgets need to be completed and submitted by the payment due date preceding each semester. 

Learn more about your payment options

Budgeting for Your Graduate Degree

We strongly suggest creating a budget for your graduate degree prior to applying for loans so you can better estimate how much you’ll need to borrow. Additionally, outlining your budget may help better control your expenses over the course of your program. For a good place to start budgeting, complete this form to download our sample budget worksheet.

Download Sample Budget Worksheet

* = required field

Skip past mobile menu to footer